Friday, March 23, 2012

My take on marriage. . .

People think my comments on marriage are somehow wrong.  Maybe.  I feel like there are reasons that marriage may be necessary for some people, but I think people just do it sometimes, because they think it's the next step in every relationship.  Just because it's always been done like that doesn't mean that it needs to be the only way we do it.  I just think marriage will never be in the cards for me again.  

Why?

First go here:   http://www.divorcerate.org/

I like my relationship the way it is.  I like coming home to him every night, but knowing that I don't have to feel trapped there.  I also like feeling like he's not trapped either and if he wanted to, he could leave me.  This kind of keeps me from feeling like we're just comfortable being together.  I love him very much, and I would marry him if we had to get married for insurance.  Some will argue that I'm living in sin.  Well I already committed the cardinal sin - I'm divorced..also..my relationship with my God is sound.  So stop judging.  A piece of paper filled out for the government didn't always constitute marriage. 

We often introduce each  other as "husband" or "wife"..way easier to do, but neither of us really wants that, and we're both good with things.  I'm blessed that he doesn't want to be married either.  I could see how in a relationship if you loved someone and they wanted to be married, it would be hard to say "no" to that.  One of the reasons that I think Gary is my "neo" is because we really are copacetic here. 

I've been married.  He's been married.  What we have, is better than that.  It's just too bad that other people don't think of it differently. 

No comments: